Lensed fiber is a cost-saving solution that is used in integrated optics and laser applications. Advantages of our lensed fiber are:
- Diffraction limited focal spot
- Focus light inside adhesives and liquid
- Highly reproducible fabrication
How is it possible? And what else can be done?
Fiber imprinting is a novel technology that allows for the low-cost fabrication of photonic structures on a fiber. aBeam Technologies developed a new imprinting process that enables the fabrication of free-form 3D nanoscale patterns out of high refractive index materials. By fabricating complex photonic structures directly onto the fiber, this provides an opportunity for simple and compact integration with optical components. Most exciting opportunities are found in immersion applications, which are made possible by the high refractive index of the photonic structures. We offer fiber lenses that focus light into a near diffraction limited spot inside immersion oil with a refractive index of 1.51. This is impossible to achieve with any other conventional fiber lens!
- Focus or collimate light directly from the fiber: NO assembly and NO parts to align!
- Customizable lens material property (high refractive n = 1.69)
- Optimized optical performance through free-form design
- Reproducible fabrication
- Focuses light in air and liquids
- Delivers light to a diffraction-limited spot with customizable focal distance
- Integrated optics
- Optical trapping
- Endoscopic imaging
Click on the images to see more:
Fiber lenses are used to couple light into optical chips to improve the coupling efficiency since the optical chip mode is much smaller than the fiber mode. Currently, great care must be taken to prevent adhesives going between the fiber lens and optical chip. Instead, our high refractive index lens can be used inside the adhesive to reduce reflection, improve mechanical stability, and decrease the focal spot size.